Sunday, August 10, 2008

hyperthyroidism and pregnancy

I just ha a blood test (FT4 and TSH ) last Friday night at UST for my hyperthyroidism . Yes, I'm hyperthyroid and I found out everything about this when I was pregnant with Joaqui. Sad to say, I was given some medications then ( PTU ,that i have to take everyday). I am so not into taking meds while pregnant, but when i had a consultation with an endocrinologist, everything was explained to me clearly , and the meds given to me is considered safe for preggos.

I was really praying hard then for Joaqui's safety too. We all know about Hypothyroidism in babies, and that really alarmed me too much. Joaqui's newborn screening results were all OK, but to be on the safer side, my endo requested for some blood tests for Joaqui when he was 2 months old. Still, everything was on the normal range, but for monitoring purposes, we consulted a pedia- endocrinologist. He was monitored every 2-3 months then. Now, every 6 months na lang. Aside from the blood tests, pedia asked us on developments, like if he can sit unassisted, stand, talk, move around the crib, teeth eruption, constipation and a lot more. Joaqui was able to do everything and that gives me assurance that he's not delayed with his developments even before he turned 1.

I am so thankful to my OB for noticing my neck then..it gets bigger daw kasi when I swallow. Hahaha. Thats one thing she noticed when im talking to her. There are no painful symptoms actually, so I never thought that there was something wrong with it already. The blood tests confirmed everything.

One of the treatments for hyperthyroidism is thru radiation, one thing I wasnt able to do after giving birth to Joaqui since you can't be in close contact to a baby / child after a radiation procedure. I think 24 hours after the operation (im not sure on this ) , i need to be really away from Joaqui. Something that's impossible for me to do , thus i keep on postponing the radiation procedure.

And now I am pregnant once again. And this is really unplanned :)

So I have a feeling that my hyperthyroidism is active once again. And everything will just repeat itself - just like my first pregnancy. But still, im just hoping and praying for the best. Im not actually researching about it online, it gets me paranoid. I trust my OB and my Endocrinologist on this matter, so I always ask them questions directly..

.. and most of all, i lift everything to GOD.

4 comments:

Mich said...

I hope wla naman this time ano? pero nakakapraning talga kse ayaw na natin maulit. like me, GDM/diabetes naman ung iniiwasan ko kse hirap na hirap akong magdiet before. LOL!

alpha said...

hope everything is ok peachy.. i agree with the kapraningan. sobrang praning din ako nung buntis.. kahit ngayon hehe. minsan better na walang masyadong alam, and trust the doctors and of course pray.

Jen said...

take care peachy :)

michellethea said...

tama ka just trust the Lord para walang worries.

ang alam ko nga yung radiation procedure, di ka mabubuntis for a long time after. well, at least may boy and girl ka na. :)

take care!